Sunday, December 20, 2009

hw 31

PART A:
for homework 31 i asked a family member of mine why it is that on their business card there is her first name then her maiden name then her sur name by marriage. She said that she didn't really think that it had much importance. She told me that she felt like it just sort of keep the name however minor a part of her life it is. It really had nothing to do with going against normal conviction. She also keeps it on her business card because her business has that name on it, which is where she worked before she was married.

I then asked her if it gives her any special feeling to know that it is still a legal part of her life. she said: that it helps her feel more connected to her family. "when your proud of something you like to hold it and since it was such a big part of my life before it didn't want to just throw it away"
Also she doesn't have her children use both names, and isn't called by both names at once which shows that she isn't really that serious about it.

My thoughts: This use of maiden names is something that has become increasingly popular, and most people do as a way to not feel confined. I think that is a small example of an immunity project, not her giving something to someone like her children but her taking something from her family. It is a way to keep things like names and cultures that would otherwise be forgotten stay a part of the family. And I don't see anything wrong with immunity projects like that, practically everyone does it in one sense. This type of add-on to the name is more of a tribute than anything else, some people do it to stand out, and be more open but I don't think every case is like that. The times when it is done to become more noticeable is a sub-conscious way of aggrandizing yourself. And in an increasingly more liberal and open society it is no surprise how often it happens.

Part B:
One of the methods of masking that I do in my every day life is make jokes. I often joke around with my friends and family. I am not really thinking that much about it as i do it, its sort of just an impulse I make the joke and it lightens the mood. It feels good when people laugh at a joke, it makes you stand out and feel like the center so it is obvious why so many people value comedy and comical people, that is why the joker is such a major archetype.. I think that a lot of people make jokes as a way to be accepted. I think that most people make jokes as a way to be accepted and many people try to be the funniest because it is a job and it gives them a sense of purpose. So maybe not every time but some people tell jokes as a way to feel like they have a purpose in their groups cool.

Another one of the methods that i have realized my self doing is posture. I usually don't sit very straight and often in a slouch. and people who sit in a slouch lazily often give off the impression that they don't care. What is interesting for me is that I'm not trying to act like i don't care, me not having good posture and the impression that people who don't sit straight don't care is merely a coincidence. My thinking of how posture can give off the impression of not caring leads me to believe the three sections Behavior and Body especially all work together to give off the cool personal the individual is attempting to show. Some are more connected than others but overall they all the three sections can work off of each other. also as i think of how we try these different behaviors so often that sometimes they go below our normal, conscious awareness because they is so significant in our culture. I think that everyone does some of these things even if it is not obvious to them why it is such a big part of their life since to many people their actions to be considered cool and accepted are below normal recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment